Your first visit...
- Before your first visit we will send you your paperwork in case you would rather complete it before you come in.
- We ask that you arrive about 10-15 minutes early to review paperwork, get a copy of your insurance card, and answer any questions you may have.
- We ask that you provide us with your referral to a physical therapist, if you have one from your doctor.
- Your physical therapist will then conduct your initial evaluation.
Your initial evaluation with your physical therapist...
- They will take your medical history.
- Conduct a review of your current problems/complaints.
- Ask and discuss your personal goals and how we can help.
Your physical therapist will then perform an objective evaluation which may include some of the following...
- Biomechanical assessment - observing and documenting how you move in comparison with optimal movement patterns
- Manual assessment - including palpation and assessment of accessory motions critical to the performance of optimal movement patterns
- Strength and Manual Muscle Testing - checking for strength deficits and quality of muscle control that affect optimal movement patterns
- Range of Motion (ROM) Testing - assessment of active and passive movements to assess restrictions and their cause(s)
- Neurological Screening - strength and sensation assessment, as well as motor control and special tests including reflexes to ensure no neurological involvement
- Postural Assessment - assessment and education around optimal posture for the activities in which you are involved
- Treatment - your physical therapist will initiate treatment of your condition to decrease pain, and begin restoration of optimal movement patterns
- Education - including home exercises, techniques and hacks to manage your current issue during recovery and also how to prevent future recurrence
You will conclude your initial evaluation with an understanding of the root cause of your problem, and a clear and defined plan of care to get you to your individual goals. You will also have time to ask any questions and gain clarity around not only the root cause but how we will plan to help you prevent recurrence of your current issue.
Finally, we will schedule out your plan of care with you to ensure you have the times that work best for your schedule and to get you to your final goals.